Welcome to the Department of Chemistry located in the University of Toronto, one of the leading and recognized institutions in Canada. Established in 1859, our department takes pride in its teaching excellence, advanced research facilities and its development of distinguished scientists in the past and for the future.
With 50 faculty members, 30 staff and 350+ graduate and postdoctoral students, our department focuses on the following research areas:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Biological and Organic Chemistry
- Chemical Physics
- Environmental Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Polymer and Material Chemistry
Interdiscplinary research is also available with the medical sciences and engineering faculties.
The department has a wide variety of services including a library, chemical stores, electronics and computing facility, glassblowing shop, machine shop, general stores, NMR lab, Mass Spectrometry lab and a X-Ray analysis lab.
Located in the Lash Miller Chemical Laboratories (on the southwest corner of Willcocks St. and St. George St) the buildings incorporate undergraduate lecture rooms and labs, and graduate research offices and labs. Other research groups and equipment are found at University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) and University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC) to the west and and east of Toronto respectively.