The Chemistry Specialist Program provides a broad coverage of the core areas of chemistry together with appropriate courses in mathematics and physics during the first three years, and allows students to follow a particular area of interest or a more general program in fourth year. The program is suitable for professional work in any area of chemistry and for entry into graduate school to continue work in any of the sub-fields of chemistry, provided that appropriate options are chosen in fourth year. This program is accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry.
Professor Andrew Dicks, Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies
This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Completed courses (with minimum grades)
The following courses with the stated minimum grades are required:
Students in this program have the option to request enrolment in the Arts & Science Internship Program (ASIP) stream. Students can apply for the ASIP stream after Year 1 (Year 2 entry) or after Year 2 (Year 3 entry, starting Fall 2024). Full details about ASIP, including student eligibility, selection and enrolment, are available in the ASIP section of the Arts & Science Academic Calendar. Please note that the majority of students enter ASIP in Fall term of Year 2. Space is more limited for Year 3 entry. Students applying for Year 3 entry must have been admitted to the Chemistry Specialist in the Summer after Year 2.
(14.0 credits, including at least 3.0 credits from 400-level courses)
- ( CHM151Y1 strongly recommended)/ ( CHM135H1, CHM136H1)
- ( MAT135H1, MAT136H1)/ MAT137Y1/ MAT157Y1
- ( PHY131H1, PHY132H1)/ ( PHY151H1, PHY152H1)
- CHM217H1, CHM220H1/ CHM222H1, CHM223H1, ( CHM236H1, CHM237H1)/ CHM238Y1, CHM249H1
- MAT235Y1/ MAT237Y1
Third and Fourth Years:
- BCH210H1, CHM326H1/ CHM328H1, CHM327H1
- Additional credits from 300/400-level CHM/ MAT/ another science, including at least three of CHM317H1, CHM338H1, CHM343H1, CHM379H1, CHM395Y1/ CHM499Y1/ PHC489Y1, CHM410H1. Minimum 3.0 CHM credits at the 400-level to a total of 14.0 credits.
Students in this program have the option to complete the Arts & Science Internship Program (ASIP) stream.
This page was updated on July 5, 2023. Please consult the Arts & Science Academic Calender for the most up-to-date program requirements.