The Materials Chemistry Program draws both on the basic sciences of chemistry and physics, and on the more applied areas such as metallurgy or ceramics. Courses dealing with these latter fields are offered through the Department of Materials Science and Engineering in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering. This would be an appropriate program for students with career interests in solid state, polymer or composite materials industries, or for graduate work in either chemistry or materials science, with an appropriate choice of options.
This is a limited enrolment program. All students who request the program and obtain at least the specified mark(s) in the required courses will be eligible to enrol. Consult the Registration Handbook & Timetable for details.
Fourteen (14) full courses or their equivalent, including at least one 400-series course, are required to complete this program.
Second and Higher Years:
- (CHM220H1/CHM222H1,CHM221H1/CHM223H1)/CHM225Y1, CHM238Y1, CHM247H1/CHM249H1
- MSE219H1, MSE335H1
- CHM325H1, CHM327H1, CHM338H1, CHM343H1/CHM348H1, CHM426H1, CHM434H1
- At least two of the following: MSE316H1, MSE318H1, (MSE342H1, MSE343H1), MSE351H1
- At least two of the following: MSE430H1, MSE440H1, MSE459H1, MSE451H1, MSE461H1
- Materials Chemistry path: CHM499Y1 Introduction to Chemistry Research.
Materials Science and Engineering path: MSE498Y1 Design & Research Project