The Materials Chemistry Program draws both on the basic sciences of chemistry and physics, and on the more applied areas such as metallurgy or ceramics. Courses dealing with these latter fields are offered through the Department of Materials Science and Engineering in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering. This would be an appropriate program for students with career interests in solid state, polymer or composite materials industries, or for graduate work in either chemistry or materials science, with an appropriate choice of options.
This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Completed courses (with minimum grades)
The following courses with the stated minimum grades are required:
Students in this program have the option to request enrolment in the Arts & Science Internship Program (ASIP) stream. Students can apply for the ASIP stream after Year 1 (Year 2 entry) or after Year 2 (Year 3 entry, starting Fall 2024). Full details about ASIP, including student eligibility, selection and enrolment, are available in the ASIP section of the Arts & Science Academic Calendar. Please note that the majority of students enter ASIP in Fall term of Year 2. Space is more limited for Year 3 entry. Students applying for Year 3 entry must have been admitted to the Materials Science Specialist in the Summer after Year 2.
(14.0 credits, including 1.0 credit from 400-level courses)
- CHM151Y1 (strongly recommended)/ ( CHM135H1, CHM136H1)
- ( MAT135H1, MAT136H1)/ MAT137Y1/ MAT157Y1
First or Second Year:
Second Year and Higher Years:
- CHM220H1/ CHM222H1/ MSE202H1, CHM223H1, ( CHM236H1, CHM237H1)/ CHM238Y1, CHM247H1/ CHM249H1
- MSE219H1, ( MSE218H1/ MSE318H1), MSE335H1
- CHM327H1, CHM338H1, CHM343H1/ CHM348H1, CHM325H1/ CHM355H1, CHM434H1/ CHM455H1, CHM426H1/ CHM457H1
- At least 1.5 credits from the following, of which 0.5 credit must be at the 400-level: MSE302H1, MSE316H1, MSE343H1, CHM446H1/ CHM456H1, CHM458H1, MSE415H1, MSE430H1, ( MSE432H1/ MSE443H1), MSE440H1, MSE442H1, MSE451H1, MSE458H1, MSE459H1, MSE461H1
- CHM499Y1/ ( MSE492H1, MSE493H1)
Students in this program have the option to complete the Arts & Science Internship Program (ASIP) stream.
This page was updated on July 5, 2023. Please consult the Arts & Science Academic Calender for the most up-to-date program requirements.