Incoming International Students

Relocating to Toronto

For information about Toronto, visit Studying at UofT.


Centre for International Experience

The Centre for International Experience (CIE) provides services that promote and support international education at the university. CIE's website contains very useful information for all UofT students about customs regulations, health insurance, student services and much more.   Be sure to refer to Preparing for Arrival for pre-arrival and post-arrival information.


Supplemental Letter for Study Permit Application

Incoming international students who require a supplemental letter for their application for a Canadian Study Permit may forward their request to Chemistry Graduate Office.


Health Insurance

International students' tuition fees include coverage from the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). For details about the coverage, please visit UHIP.


Opening Bank Account from Abroad

Incoming international students may open a bank account from abroad.  


Relocation Allowance

International students who accept our offer of admission will be reimbursed up to $2,000 in travel expenses once they have registered as a student at the university. This is applicable to new students who applied from outside of Canada. Applicable expenses include: one-way economy airfare (if more economical to obtain a return airfare, you will be compensated for half of the fee), baggage fees, airport shuttle bus/public transportation fares and selected basic furniture. However, reimbursement excludes meals and fees related to immigration, such as visa, study permit fees and medical bills.

Please retain all original receipts including boarding passes, fill out the Expense Report (PDF) and submit to Chemistry Graduate Office.


Social Insurance Number

In order to arrange for payroll, student must hold a Social Insurance Number. Please visit Service Canada when you arrive to apply. A supplemental letter from the Department detailing funding is required with your application. Please contact the School of Graduate Studies to obtain the letter of registration.